Tuesday, December 25, 2007

Airport cops look at your expression to see if you're a terrorist, cite 1% total arrest rate

Which of course means that stone cold terrorists who don't have guilty expressions will be able to get through airport security just fine, while people who don't like cops, are nervous talking to cops, or who the cops, being racist or just not liking a person, classify as being "evasive", will be targeted and singled out. Don't like the idea of Guantanamo? Think that airport security people are fascists who wouldn't mind doing bad things to you? Don't like Bush? Well you just earned yourself some extra scrutiny due to some facial tick giving away your concern that these people will put you in a hole because you dislike the current regime.

Here's some quotes from the story (title link leads to it):

"The officers ask simple questions:

"How are you today?"

"Where are you heading?"

"Is this all your property?"

"It's almost irrelevant what your answers are," Maccario said. "It's more relevant how you respond. Vague, evasive responses -- fear shows itself. When you do this long enough, you see it right away."

You can see the guilty look in their eyes!

"Since January 2006, behavior-detection officers have referred about 70,000 people for secondary screening, Maccario said. Of those, about 600 to 700 were arrested on a variety of charges, including possession of drugs, weapons violations and outstanding warrants.

Maccario will not say whether the teams have disrupted any terrorist operations. But he did say that there are active counterterrorism investigations under way that began with referrals from the program."


70,000 people were singled out for scrutiny, between 600 and 700 were arrested, that leads to a success rate of between .86% and 1%, with the vast majority probably being drugs and weapons charges, or warrants. What a fucking success. Can the other 99%-99.14% of people wrongly singled out ask for an apology?

No comments: